Five main reasons for a second higher education
The reasons that make it necessary to come back to college for the second time are very different for everybody, but sociologists distinguish a number of the most common of them.
- The most popular reason to go to a university for a second diploma is to acquire knowledge in a new specialty for changing a profession. About 40% of students enter another faculty to change their qualifications. This need arises in the event of disappointment in their occupation or because the previously acquired work has lost its relevance and prestige. The labor market is developing very rapidly, and those professions that were popular ten years ago can completely disappear today. But at the same time, there is a bunch of fresh specialties in which you will be able to show a maximum of your abilities.
- Another popular reason is related to career growth. Many people, when there is a possibility of promotion through the career ladder, face such a problem when additional knowledge is needed to obtain a higher position. One more diploma may be required by an ordinary employee of a large company to take the position of the lead project manager or head of the department. If the company has a choice, to whom to give a high position – to a person with one or two diplomas, then the probability is high that the decision will be in favor of the second candidate.
- Another, no less famous, reason for obtaining a second higher education is the search for a highly paid job. The modern employer currently conducts a kind of “hunt” for talented employees who can perform the duties of several specialists at once. For an organization, it is much more profitable to pay a higher salary to a manager who owns knowledge in law and fluently solves all legal issues with the client, than recruiting a lawyer and paying two employees. In our time, especially in large cities, this trend has become very common, businesses increasingly offer to the holders of two diplomas a higher salary. And this is a strong motivation for current graduates of universities, who immediately after receiving a diploma enter the second higher education department to receive another education or receive a second diploma simultaneously.
- Those people who believe that their knowledge, acquired a few years ago, are obsolete, lose relevance and do not meet modern requirements decide to get a second higher education. If the employee had been working as a teacher for several years and now wants to switch to professional UK essay writing service, he needs to adjust his qualification to a new job more, although they both are related to the linguistic. The primary goal, which is pursued in this case, is the deepening of knowledge in its professional sphere. Which benefits gives in practice a deepening of knowledge? Firstly, it increases the level of professionalism of a specialist, secondly, fixes his professional positions on the already held positions.
- Completes the top of the most popular reasons for motivating additional higher education a personal interest in science. Some people can not live without a constant flow of knowledge, so they are looking for a new portion of food for the mind again at the university. Approximately 10% enter the university for a second time to obtain another higher degree in the field of psychology, pedagogy or jurisprudence for their personal development.